Sharepoint webpart newbie help

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:05 AM

Hi, I'm very new to sharepoint here, totally lost.

I have a digitalclockwebpart.zip download from the web that contains only the .DLL. a .webpart file and a license,txt file.. And i have no idea how to use it in visual studio 2008 and then implement it in sharepoint or am i supposed to do that? What are the files actually needed for a webpart to work?

One more thing is that I'm not sure how it works. Like if i'm supposed to create and add in new webparts for student portal that alraedy has been created using sharepoint, I would have to start new webparts in visual studio 2008? *Confused*

Sep 14, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Hi,

The best place I think to start is http://www.microsoft.com/click/SharePointDeveloper/.  They have a lot of great giudance to get off the ground with SharePoint if you are coming from asp.net.

Generally we recommend using asp.net web parts in visual studio 2008.  There are different approaches to building applications in SharePoint.  One uses "office 12 hive" approach, and many great community tools have been built around that approach.  Another approach is to use Visual Studio extensions for Windows SharePoint Services.  This hides some of the complexity from you and is easier to get going in my opinion for those new to SharePoint.  We use VSeWSS in our reference implementations.  if you want to start with our guidance, I'd recommend starting with the training management application, although I think it may be easier for you if you first look through the information in the site I reference above to get off of the ground.

Chris

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:40 AM

Hi Chris,

Thanks a lot for the website. I will look through it. =)