SharePoint Products and Technologies Customization Policy

Jun 2, 2009 at 4:52 AM

Hi,

Acording to the Microsoft document "SharePoint Products and Technologies Customization Policy" (page 25), deploying Site Definition is disallowed, how can it be ?

I do not understand, I was thinking that using a "empty" Site Definition was a good practice, please help me with this question.

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:17 PM

OK, I think I understand, on page 5, I read "This document describes many types of customizations and their impacts on various levels of service in a hosted environment. "

This document apply only for an hosted environment.

Am I right?

Coordinator
Jun 9, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Hi,

Yes, this paper is primarily about governance models.  In the platinum model it is allowed but discouraged in that guide.  Sitedefs are very good mechanisms for gathering a list of related features for a punching out sites of a particular functionality.  However sitedefs can be challenging to manage unless used in certain ways.  Site definitions can not be upgraded - the path to upgrade of a site defintiion is feature stapling.  If more than a collection of features are included in the sitedef then this ends up leading to sites that can't be easily updated.  Our recommendation related to site definitions is to make them very thin, only a wrapper for a set of features to activate, and to use feature stapling as the upgrade approach.  Since you can do more than include a set of features to activate in a site definition, that imposes management challenges, this white paper just steers most people away from doing anything with sitedefs at all within a hosted infrastructure.  However we would recommend using sitedefs as described when it makes sense in non-hosted environments, or in hosted environments under tight control (for instance, central IT) rather than have users ctivate a bunch of discrete features on a site created from a standard sitedef. 

Hope this helps.

Chris