SharePoint Guidance - Installing the Training Mangement Application

Apr 16, 2009 at 12:14 AM
My company is looking at SharePoint to build our next generation internal and external portals.  The guidance looked like a great way to learn a lot about SharePoint quickly. However, I'm having trouble getting it installed.

1. When I click Deploy while 'Installing the Training Management Application', I get : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.     There is no other data, message, nothing in the event logs, etc. I'm running VS as an admin, I am a local admin, and the directories are not write protected.  Googling hasn't produced any useful help.

2. I tried to skip to 'Configure the Training Management Application'. Step 5 says to use the Contoso Training Mangement site template.  I don't see that in the choices. How does that template get installed? Do I not see it because of 1?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Candi
Apr 17, 2009 at 2:45 PM
Hi Candi,

If your deploy failed, the remaining steps won't work.  I think this is probably because under debug settings, start action, start browser with url is not selected.  You need to select this option, and add the url such as http://localhost/, and the deploy should work.  Can you check to see if this setting is correct?  Also this works with version 1.2 of Visual Studio Extensions.  Are you using version 1.2?

Chris