Modifying the Site

Feb 2, 2009 at 5:12 PM
Hopefully I can word this correctly...

I am trying to understand what modifications can be made to the site simply by re-deploying the Contoso.TrainingManagement project and what mods would require running the "setup.bat /uninstall" procedure to retract the solution.  For example, I need to change the Contoso.HRManagement.Services.HRManager class to return the correct domain based on my environment.

Also, I asume that once upgraded, all future development and modifications would be made in the Contoso.RI.Upgrade solution, correct?  Can I just re-deploy as long as I am not creating a new solution & dll?

The SPG seems to be an excellent source for development best practices and I am looking forward to digging in.  I apologize if these are basic questions that are answered elsewhere, but am still trying to connect all the dots in the deployment process -- previously I was using .bat files as per the Developing Solutions with SharePoint Server 2007 class where there were more manual steps which were "exposed" to the developer.

Thanks in advance,

Jerry Tookmanian
Developer
Feb 6, 2009 at 6:15 AM
For the first question: If you just need to change the Contoso.HRManagement.Services.HRManager class to return the correct domain based on your environment, you can just make necessary change to the Contoso.TrainingManagement project accordingly. We do recommend that you run "setup.bat /uninstall" before you make any change. After you are done, you can run "setup.bat /install" to re-deploying.

For the second question: you are right. Once upgraded, all future development and modifications would be made in the Contoso.RI.Upgrade solution, You can just re-deploy as long as you are not creating a new solution & dll. Just make sure that you always run setup.bat /uninstall first before you redeploy.