Elements of type 'Workflow' are not supported at the 'Web' scope. This feature could not be installed.

Nov 24, 2008 at 4:19 PM
Any help on this??  I'm on the How to: Use Visual Studio extensions for Windows SharePoint Services to Package a Workflow in a Web Solution Package section of the guidance..  did everything there says to do in visual studio but when deploying I get error Elements of type 'Workflow' are not supported at the 'Web' scope.  This feature could not be installed.  I checked and the folder was created in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\FEATURES and the wsp file exist in the bin\debug folder of the wsp project.

Any ideas??
Developer
Nov 24, 2008 at 5:17 PM
you need to locate your feature.xml file. There should be an attribute called "Scope" for your "Feature" element. Change the value to "Site" instead "Web". That should the problem you're seeing. Workflows can't be activated at the web scope. We'll make sure that the step is included in the How To.
Nov 24, 2008 at 7:07 PM
Hey Charlescho, Ok, I found two feature.xml files,  one by looking at the WSP View which had the scope as "web" and I reset it to "site".

The other one, looking on the solution explorer view, already had the scope set as "site". But still doesn't work...!    don't know where else to check or what to do... 

<?

xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<

Feature Id="f2a067a3-e667-4c6c-b9c6-d4107e7fa550"

Title="MySharePointWorkflow feature"

Description="My SharePoint Workflow Feature"

Version="12.0.0.0"

Scope="Site"

ReceiverAssembly="Microsoft.Office.Workflow.Feature, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c"

ReceiverClass="Microsoft.Office.Workflow.Feature.WorkflowFeatureReceiver"

xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/">

<

ElementManifests>

<

ElementManifest Location="workflow.xml" />

</

ElementManifests>

<

Properties>

<

Property Key="GloballyAvailable" Value="true" />

<!--

Value for RegisterForms key indicates the path to the forms relative to feature file location -->

<!--

if you don't have forms, use *.xsn -->

<

Property Key="RegisterForms" Value="*.xsn" />

</

Properties>

</

Feature>

Nov 24, 2008 at 7:11 PM
Ok nevermind, I closed visual studio and reopenned and deployed and now it works!  so what fixed it was the scope element on the feature.xml file set on the WSP View.

Thank you very much charlescho!!