Workflow activities - Deployment

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:27 PM
Edited Nov 7, 2008 at 2:45 PM
Hi,
How would I go about to automagically deploy my custom Workflow Activities in the same smooth manner as my other project bits and pieces? I feel a bit queasy about manually adding the "authorizedType" tags to my web.config file.
Also, I would like my .ACTIONS file to deploy at the right place as well.

My goal is to publish a set of custom activities which my customer can utilize from his Sharepoint Designer when constructing new workflows.

Best Regards
Henrik W.
Developer
Nov 7, 2008 at 7:22 PM
I wouldn't suggest manually modifying your web.config file especially if you have multiple web applications. You should take your configuration settings and deploy it to the CONFIG folder on your office 12 hive. You can do this using the <RootFile> element in your wsp's manifest xml file. You can do the same with your .ACTIONS file. The only difference withg the .ACTIONS file is that it goes in the TEMPLATE/1033/Workflow folder, so you would use the <TemplateFile> element. You can also check out this article on MSDN, which uses a little bit of code in a feature receiver. Good luck.
Nov 12, 2008 at 6:03 PM
Great!

I´m trying to deploy an activity the way suggested.
I deploy an action file in the workflow folder using TemplateFile in manifest file with VSeWSS (creating a templates folder with subfolders 1033/Workflow), no problem.
But is there a way to get the .config file as a RootFile in the manifest file with VSeWSS ? or do I need to edit the manifest file manually.

peace.
Developer
Nov 12, 2008 at 7:55 PM
Unfortunately, the current version of VSeWSS does not have the ability for you to deploy items using <RootFile>. You could however use another tool like WSPBuilder. Or you can manipulate the web.config file through the SharePoint API like the article on MSDN suggests above. I'm hoping the <RootFile> feature will be added in a future release of VSeWSS.