SharePoint - Debugging

Aug 29, 2008 at 3:23 AM
I spent the last four hours figuring out how to Debug a SharePoint application...   The Internet is full of dead-ends as well as useful tips so I created a comprehensive blog of my Google adventures HERE.  If  a picture says a thousand words I have over 10,000 words that cover 2 different ways that you can successfully debug a SharePoint application.  One involves moving your files into a Bin folder and using Full-Trust and the other (preferred) debugging your solution with your assemblies in the GAC with default security.
Nov 3, 2008 at 12:30 PM
Not to diminish your effort, but I spent 4 seconds to get it to work. I just attached to a random w3p process and fired away. And cross my fingers it worked.
I guess this is related to the fact the I haven't yet gone into the webpart creation just yet, I simply have an aspx-page which deploys as a module.

Later, when I get into webpart creation I guess I will return with tears in my eyes begging for help, but for now I'm in a happy place.

/Henrik
Nov 3, 2008 at 5:25 PM
This is encouraging news!  I just purchased the TechNet subscription so that I can have SharePoint services again (trial expired); I just rebuilt my Windows 2008 server and am in the process of re-installing everything so that I can hopefully get to developing next week.   Although my contract ends in December I hope to bring some value to the team by teaching them how to get through the basics of webparts, workflow and deployment (they'll need it next year). 

I was not a happy camper spending more time debugging then developing...

Hopefully we'll both remain in a happy place :)