Aug 3, 2008 at 12:26 AM
Edited Aug 3, 2008 at 12:28 AM
I'm currently spending about half my time developing SharePoint-based applications, in a large enterprise setting (where I am not part of the IT organization, but merely a site administrator).  At first I valiantly pursued the option to submit custom WSS code to the IT overlords and have it deployed in the production MOSS farm, but the barriers put in place by IT make that too costly for the amount of time and budget we have.

Instead, I now work within the confines of "whatever I can do without the ability to install custom code", so Visual Studio is off the table.  We're confined to whatever we can do using SharePoint Designer, InfoPath and the rest of Office 2007.  However, I can say with confidence that after a few months of research, trying to teach myself what I can do (and how to do it), and plenty of flipping through books/articles/forums (only to discover much later that one of the required steps will exceed my privileges in the MOSS environment), I would dearly love to know:
  • Which features, customizations, approaches I can use in developing SharePoint "applications" - when I am not a MOSS Admin but merely a Site Administrator (or less).
  • Which capabilities are specifically allowed/denied for each of the privileged roles in a MOSS environment (i.e. what permissions are required to be able to use/create/customize each feature of MOSS)
  • Some examples & walkthroughs (Quickstarts?) for building dynamic, workflow-driven applications (i.e. those that can be created just using SPD, IP and the rest of Office 2007).  Such applications would include Lists, Workflows, custom Content Types, web publishing using various web parts (e.g. Content Query, Web Page, Custom Search).
Absolutely there is a great need for guidance for those who develop MOSS apps using Visual Studio, but I suspect that MOSS will become much more "sticky" in enterprise environments when non-IT can quickly build LOB apps that require at most site admin membership.  MOSS has a great deal of implicit promise to free Business Gropus from having to get "permission" from IT for automating their business processes, but there's far less guidance/books/articles out there to guide such "developers" (than there is for full-blown developers).
Aug 4, 2008 at 5:19 PM
Edited Aug 4, 2008 at 5:19 PM

Although this scenario is not currently our target scenario, we will incorporate your feedback into our design discussions in the near future.

Thank you for your feedback.

Aug 4, 2008 at 8:26 PM
I am in the exact same situation as MikeSL and would like strongly request that the scenario he describes be given very high priority. This would be tremendously beneficial to many of us.