Next Version Customization Scenario Input

Coordinator
Sep 18, 2009 at 3:01 PM
Edited Sep 18, 2009 at 3:02 PM

We are looking for input on common customization scenarios.  Some business problem detail will really help as well.  We want to identify the top customization scenarios for the next release of SharePoint that could use some guidance.   While SharePoint 2010 will bring new capabilities that we'll consider, the basic customization scenarios probably won't change a lot, the same business problems will exist.  If you have a customization scenario that caused you particular difficulty, or you see a customization scenario occurring over and over again, please go ahead and add it to the discussion list.  We are looking to close this out within about 30 days, so the sooner we can get your input the better!

If you have a scenario that you don't want to list here, please feel free to email directly to ckeyser@microsoft.com.

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Here are some scenarios that I've delt with-

• InfoPath forms - publicizing reusable sections to spur reuse/speed development and improve consistency
  • Security and groups usage to facilitate business processes - how to you manage security when you want to use groups in things like workflow - AD/SP group explosion!
  • Managing centralized data sources for thinks like IP forms - making sure people are accessing them consistently
  • Alerts v. workflow tasks v. workflow emails - best practices and scenarios
  • content types and metadata usage in business process solutions - What happens if your corporate taxonomy is 90% to support lookup lists for sharepoint composite applications v. when used for traditional metatagging purposes?

Contact me directly if you would like to followup.

-Jay

Nov 13, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Thank you Jay for your input.

Thanks

Appaji

Nov 13, 2009 at 11:54 AM

I'd be interested in guidance on integration with both back office (e.g. via plain web service, WCF based services) and front office systems, e.g. CRM surfacing details from SharePoint lists

Nov 25, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Scenarios:

• Extranet user provisioning from intranet and user account self-service
  • Custom content deployment
    • When you want to manually push-out specific content to specific lists on the Internet/Extranet server
  • Single-sign on across .NET and SharePoint applications/servers

Possibly some best practices needed:

• Client vs Server OM
  • Client OM with Silverlight
  • LINQ to SQL best practices
  • Transactional list updates
  • List referential integrity
Coordinator
Nov 30, 2009 at 8:42 PM
Edited Nov 30, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Thanks for the input Steve and Peter.  We will touch on some aspects of integration but probably will not get in too deep this release.

Peter, we will be covering a number of the areas you outline, but transactional list updates are not supported - otherwise we should cover decision points surrounding these topics.

Mar 27, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Hello Chris,

We have taken SPG for SP2010 as basis for our internal project, and so far we need best practices in the following areas:

- Ribbon customizations for Contetnt Types (conditional logic on enable/disable controls);

- Forms customization (XSLT vs InfoPath);

- Deployment practices for such customized forms;

- Using SPLinq with Join (particularly in Repository)

Also we want your opinion on SharePoint Designer and it's place in ALM.

Thanks,

Ivan

Coordinator
Mar 27, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Thanks for the input Ivan.  We are working right now on data, and I'm sure we'll have some to say about repository/splinq/join.  We're aslo considering ribbon when we get to client next.  I don't know if we will get to forms this round.

SharePoint designer has a better ALM story now that it uses WSP's for packaging, and solutions can be brought into VS, and tracked under source control.  It both makes it easier to incorporate/control SPD created assets into one source repository.  Also a model becomes vialable where parts/components are developed in VS, then the parts that are then constructed into applications in a staging area with SPD where they can be tested prior to deploying to production now that there is a clean story for moving applications constructed with SPD between environments.  However we haven't tested this scenario in our guidance yet and probably won't get to it this round.  We have used SPD some in our guidance development, primarily for workflow development and ECT development.  We can then package these assets in the WSP's we finally deploy for the reference implementations.  I'm very interested in seeing customer experiences combining the use of SPD with developed components.

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:29 PM

How about an external database model?

If I just store data into SharePoint list, I can use OOB components like Content Type/List Template/List Instance, even the List-Based Repositories in SPG Lib. But if I need an external database (out of content db) to store some rational data, it's very hard to maintain the db creation/management/config process. I cannot handle external db in a wsp package, so I have to write some additional deployment script and guide doc, to handle the external db creation/management/config.

Hope SPG2010 contain a best practice model about external database. :)

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Best practices for SharePoint 2010 and using Service Applications would be nice.

Other then that I second most of the stuff Peter mentioned.

Coordinator
Apr 23, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Thanks for the input.  We are doing external databases through BCS this release.  We won't be covering service applications. Service applications are complicated to develop and relatively narrow in intended target group, primarily ISVs.  We decided not to cover this area because we'd have to invest a lot of effort in an area that is relatively narrow for developers.  We'll continue to look at the area to see if broader demand than expected grows.