ContosoWinAdmin not able to connect to Contoso databases

May 15, 2009 at 12:15 PM

The ContosoWinAdmin account is not able to connect to the Contoso databases.  In the properties of the sql login for the ContosoWinAdmin account I get the following error when I attempt to look at the securables area of the sql login properties:

Cannot resolve the collation conflict between "Latin1_General_CI_AS_KS_WS" and "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS" in the UNION operation. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

May 15, 2009 at 1:32 PM

I granted just about everything to the ContosoWinAdmin account and everything finally started to work. Not sure exactly what fixed it though. 

May 18, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Hi,

Can you give more detail?  Was the error with the sql membership provider database?  Or was it a permission issue on one of the SharePoint databases?

Thanks,

Chris

May 12, 2010 at 4:36 PM
I'm having a similar problem. After installing SPG v2 Interation 12 and visiting http://localhost:9001/sites/ProductCatalog/default.aspx as local user ContosoWinAdmin I get a "Cannot open database 'ContosoWEBAppDB' requested by the login." SQL exception. When I try to connect to the database as ContosoWinAdmin via Management Studio I get a "The database ContosoWEBAppDB is not accessible." error (although I can access the db as SQL user 'sa'). I've tried granting ContosoWinAdmin elevated privileges at both the database and SQL Server level with no success. I'm running SharePoint 2007 SP2 together with SQLServer 2008 SP1 on Windows Server 2008 64-bit. Any thoughts or insights are greatly appreciated! Thanks, Paul