trainingdashboard.aspx

Nov 14, 2008 at 9:47 PM
Hi,
I am learning SharePoint and I found this guideline very useful to map it to normal .net software development approach.
I have a question regarding trainingdashboard.aspx, I understand that other pages can be created using VS.NET with code behind but for pages like trainindashboard.aspx where there is no code behind, how do I create it? Basically I do I know what aspx code to be written?

My question could be very silly and simple but I am struggling to tie together all the pieces in SharePoint, specially the XML config files without rich editor. I want to learn SharePoint more on development than customization and this guidance is perfect fit for it.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Nov 17, 2008 at 5:38 PM
if your creating a .aspx page without any code-behind, you're probably creating some sort of a web-part page. These pages can use the Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.WebPartPage as the code-behind. The easiest way of creating web part pages is to take a copy of an existing web part page like default.aspx from the Team Site definition. To change the layouts of the webpart zones, you can modify the "PlaceHolderMain" <asp:Conent> element.
Nov 18, 2008 at 5:35 PM
Thanks Charlescho for you response. I guess you are right.
Now my another leading question is how to do I create custom View for a list without using sharepoint UI or designer?
Basically I am trying to understand different XML files and scared that so many things we need to write but if there is any UI tool which makes this task easier?
Nov 19, 2008 at 5:25 PM
you can define custom views for your lists in the schema.xml file of your list definition.  There is a <Views> element and you can add your own <View> element. I don't know of any real great tools to make this easier. For simple changes like adding fields to views or changing the order by or group by it's relatively simple to through the xml file. Just a little knowledge around CAML is necessary.
Nov 19, 2008 at 6:46 PM
Thanks Charlescho,

Yes I have seen views in schema.xml file, but I was trying to see if any tool is available to create it. But thanks for taking time to respond my queries.