Session State: To Enabled Or Not To Enable

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:00 PM
I've been invovled in a MOSS 2007 planning effort. Presently, the group is planning to disable session state in MOSS 2007 when it goes live later next year. This is in effort to improve scalability and performance. I was hoping the guide would touch on the impact of enabling or disabling session state, but it falls silent on this topic.

This documentation suggests that session state should not be disabled in a production scenario:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263527.aspx
"By default, session state is enabled. Session state can be disabled for troubleshooting purposes, but if it is disabled, many Office SharePoint Server services and components will no longer function."

I've been trying to find a comprehensive list of features that are inoperable when session state is disabled. This information appears to be in various locations. There isn't a single diffinitive resource. So far I've been able to determine that the following items require session state:

InfoPath Forms Services
Project Server

Are there any others?

Further, is disabling session state in order to gain performance a good idea?

Thanks,
John
Nov 17, 2008 at 6:41 PM
honestly, I can't tell you all the places where session state is required for SharePoint. That is probably a question to be answered by the SharePoint product group. We're currently planning for our next version of the guidance and it is heavily related to MOSS, and session state is something we may have to address.